International Yoga Day Canada (IYDC) is a Canadian not-for-profit organization established in 2015 to organize the Canadian celebrations of the United Nations approved International Yoga Day. It was established after the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed June 21 as the International Yoga Day. The IYDC will be organizing one of the largest congregations of people to celebrate the international yoga day at Toronto’s International Centre from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm on Sunday June 25, 2017.
- To celebrate the United Nations approved International Day of Yoga in Canada and raise awareness about yoga as an alternative approach to health care by encouraging and motivating Canadians to participate in the event.
- Through this event, we intend to nurture an inspiring, engaging and friendly yoga environment and create a blissful experience for the participants, bringing harmony and peace into their lives and uniting their spirits.
- To work towards making Canadians accept yoga as a transformative and holistic practice by promoting awareness of healthier lifestyles and life choices.
- To advocate for acceptance of yoga as the fulcrum of alternate approaches to health care in Canada, and to create awareness about alternatives such as wellness and prevention instead of illness and cure.
- To bridge the cultural gap in Canada between different ethnicities by connecting people from different cultures, creeds and races with the vast traditions and practices of yoga.
- We aim to share the immense potential of yoga in solving many public health issues and uplifting communities across Canada.
- Organize the Canadian celebrations of the UN approved International Day of Yoga
- Spread awareness about yoga in Canada
- Create broader awareness of alternative approaches to health care
- Advocate values of wellness & prevention, instead of illness & cure
- Propagate advantages of mindfulness & promote holistic health
- Help youth cope with anxiety, peer pressure, stress
- Have a positive impact on youth’s social & psychological development